Green smoothie - mixed greens, mixed berries, bananas
Oat porridge with bananas & blueberries and Buckwheat porridge with bananas & blueberries
Almond butter and banana sandwiches in sprouted wraps
Strawberry yogurt - pine nuts, almonds, honey, psyllum, strawberries
Fresh carrot apple juice
Dinner of romaine lettuce leaves with 2 veggie nut stuffers - an Asian one and a spicy pumpkin seed one
Our Liberian children LOVED the spicy pumpkin seed one. It had a strong onion and garlic taste to it, right up their alley. I currently have lentils and buckwheat sprouting on my counter and flax seeds soaking. I'm about to put together most of those flax seeds with other ingredients to make 3 pizza crusts I'll "cook" in the dehydrator for tomorrow's dinner. I'll use the other part of the flax seeds to make crackers we'll enjoy at lunch tomorrow with almond hummus. The lentils have sprouted nicely. Tomorrow I'll combine them with other ingredients to make "chicken nuggets" for Monday.
Here are a few of the recipes that have been requested:
Chili (from The Raw 50 by Carol Alt)
1 C pine nuts
1 C pumpkin seeds
1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
Juice of 2 limes
6 medium garlic cloves, 2 of them minced
1/4 C cold-pressed, extra-virgin olive oil
3 scallions (white and green parts), chopped
1 tsp ground allspice (I left this out as I don't have it)
4 C chopped ripe tomatoes
2 tomatillos, quartered
1 small fresh mango, chopped
1 tsp salt
4 tsp chili powder
1.5 tsp pumpkin pie spice (I substituted with 1 tsp cinnamon)
1.5 tsp ground cumin
Put the pine nuts, pumpkin seeds, bell pepper, jalapeno, lime juice, minced garlic cloves, extra-virgin olive oil, scallions, and allspice in a bowl. Stir together and marinate for at least 1 hour at room temperature. While that's marinating, pulse the tomatoes, tomatillos, mango, salt, chili powder, pumpkin pie spice, the remaining 4 garlic cloves, and the cumin together in a food processor or blender. Transfer this mixture to another bowl and let it marinate for at least 1 hour. Combine the two mixtures together and serve.
Chili Lime Uncorn Chips (from Rejuvenate Your Life by Serene Allison)
5 C buckwheat sprouts
3 C veggies (zucchini or tomato or a mixture of both, I used mixture)
2 C pine nuts or sunflower seeds, measured and then soaked
1 C golden flax meal ground in coffee grinder
2 tsp salt
1 tsp chili powder
2 Tbsp cumin seed
2 Tbsp raw honey
Juice of 2 limes
2 big pinches cayenne pepper
3/4 tsp garlic powder
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 C whole raw pumpkin seeds
2 Tbsp black sesame seeds (optional)
Blend buckwheat, veggies, and pine nuts in food processor in batches. Mix with the rest of the ingredients. Spread thinly on greased teflex sheets and score into corn chip triangles. Dehydrate for 24 hours until completely crispy and corn-chipy. Remember to turn them over onto the mesh screen after the first few hours.
Mexican Veggie Nut Stuffer (from Rejuvenate Your Life by Serene Allison)
4 large carrots
1/2 Vidalia or mild red onion (I use 1/4 of a sweet onion)
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oli
1.5 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (I leave this out)
3 level tsp cumin (I use 1.5tsp)
1 big lemon, squeezed
A few sprigs of fresh oregano or tarragon or 1 tsp if dried (I use oregano)
2 C soaked nuts or seeds (I prefer all almonds) This is about 1.5 C before soaking.
Place carrots and onions in food processor and whiz. Add the rest of the ingredients and whiz until smooth.
Enjoy!
Love, Dawn
2 comments:
It would be really sad if you couldn't keep it up because you couldn't afford the food. There's no place you could get the food cheaper? Farmers markets? Anything? But then this isn't the time of year to find fresh produce, huh?
Thanks for the recipes Dawn! I checked out a Raw Food book from the library yesterday :) . I know this isn't the season for our whole family to attempt this, either; but I plan to implement as much as possible.
Wish we had been able to get together while you were in Texas, maybe next time!
Love & Blessings,
Catherine
Post a Comment